Monday 1 November 2010

Photo of the Week - Giant Rabbit on Hackney Road by ROA

Sometimes a photo takes on a sudden significance that it did not have before. That happened to my picture of the Giant Rabbit on Hackney Road by ROA. It had already had 252 views since I had posted it on Flickr on 2 May 2010 but it then had 8 views last Monday and 79 the folowing day, mostly from searches on Google. My own search on google revealed the news that the painting was under threat from Hackney Council, with an article in the Guardian giving the details of the dispute with the owners of the building. Wednesday saw another 58 views, again mostly through Google. On Thursday evening there were some referrals from an American website metafilter. com. Following the link back I found a news item on the painting, with a link to the Guardian website and a link to my photo given as "a slightly clearer picture". This link alone led to about 1100 views in 24 hours. Overall the photo went from 252 views to 2,112. my first picture over 1500 views.

I then found a copy of the Guardian article on the website of the owners of the building. Strangely unlike the Guardian website it showed my picture at the top of the article. I checked the local library and its copy of the newspaper had the same photo as the website. I think that they had initially used my picture for the article but then realised that they did not have permission to use my photo so used a different photo. So my picture did appear in some copies without permission (or payment).

ROA's graffiti rabbit faces removal by Hackney council, Guardian website, 25 Oct 2010.
Protect the London rabbit, Metafilter article. 28 Oct 2010.
Save The Rabbit!. The Premises website

No comments:

Post a Comment