Sunday 7 November 2010

The Pope and Popemobile in the Mall, London

In September the pope was visiting London. I was not sure of his exact itinerary but I knew he was going to be in the Mall on Saturday evening on his way to Hyde Park. I managed to be in the Mall by 6.30 and there were many people there. I picked a spot and waited. When the pope came past, I took a few photos and then realised that if I ran ahead a little I could overtake the pope and get some more photos. I managed to do this a few times. By the end many in the crowd were doing much the same to get another look at the pope.This may be why the crowds were reported to be so large, it was the same people running along to get another look.

I was actually disappointed with my photos. Although the popemobile was going slowly, it was moving so there was a lot of blurring. In some the pope was looking the wrong way, but I did get one good photo of the pope. So I posted to Flickr that one (I had to crop it a bit) and one of the crowd in the Mall awating the pope. I was expecting quite a few other pictures to be posted as so many people were taking photos, but doing a search I found very few other pictures posted. Indeed I had many views from people doing searches on Google for variations on Pope, Mall, London. I did find one good set of pictures but these had been labelled "Popemobile in the Mall" so had not appeared in the searches for the pope.I did point this out to him and he has since relabelled the pictures but he had missed out on a number of views. There was also a Paddypower popemobile with a fake pope, as well as a protest march against the pope earlier in the day. Thus I was pleasantly surprised to get over 150 views each for my pictures in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment